2. The chokey: Matilda
You did NOT think it was funny when your parents joked about sending you to Mrs. Trunchbull’s school.
3. Shadow being left behind to DIE ALONE: Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
Yeah, yeah, he lives in the end, but no one remembers that part after this traumatic little gem of a scene.
4. Veruca Salt falling down the egg chute: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
That’s not to say that a lot of this movie wasn’t terrifying, but of all the possible child homicides, Veruca’s was the spookiest simply because of that echo at the end of her song as she fell further and further down…
5. The acid-fueled boat ride Willy Wonka takes the children on: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Willy Wonka gets two separate points because A CHICKEN GETS ITS HEAD CHOPPED OFF in this scene like soooo casually. Kids love that (and drugs)!
6. The Wicked Witch’s flying monkeys: The Wizard of Oz
8. This nightmare clown: The Brave Little Toaster
^ enough said.
9. The death of a cartoon shoe via “dip”: Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Brilliant movie but why, WHY the scene where we watch a bubbly lil cartoon slowly melt to death? Who watched that, nodded, and said, “Good, perfect for children!”?
10. Quasimodo being tortured :The Hunchback of Notre Dame
How do you get away with a villain whose main motivation is driven by poorly concealed lust? Just throw in a nice scene where the protagonist is tied down and pelted with vegetables. The kids won’t even notice the lyrics of “Hellfire” until they’re like, 16!
11. Large Marge: Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure
Tim Burton decided to go all out for his feature debut as a director, and the children of America have been paying the price ever since.
12. The Red Bull: The Last Unicorn
No satanic undertones here!
13. E.T. getting sick and going to the hospital: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
You have been spared the GIF, but here’s this creepy one of him looking like he’s drowning, nbd.
14. Don Bluth movies in general – All Dogs Go To Heaven, A Troll In Central Park, The Land Before Time
Like, it’s good that this guy made movies so there were alternatives to Disney, but there’s no way you weren’t made uncomfortable by at least three of his movies (like dogs dying in All Dogs Go to Heaven, Littlefoot’s mom in front of his eyes in The Land Before Time, or the Queen from A Troll in Central Park).
15. Hexxus, the skeletal pollution monster: FernGully: The Last Rainforest
At least he made us more environmentally conscious? And the song was good? JK, NIGHTMARES FOREVER.
16. Ernest’s interactions with Trantor the Troll: Ernest Scared Stupid
Did you gag from the memories yet?
17. The R.O.U.S.: The Princess Bride
Sorry, the quirky name doesn’t make it any less horrifying.
18. Macaulay Culkin getting stung to death by bees: My Girl
19. Ratigan: The Great Mouse Detective
Aside from being voiced by the very spooky Vincent Price, he also fed one of his henchmen to a cat. Fun times!
20. Dorothy’s continuing adventures: Return to Oz
Question: Why? What was wrong with the first one (besides the flying monkeys)?
21. The trippy pink elephants: Dumbo
- Everyone Loves Black Light Beer Pong
- 17 Reasons Why Jim Halpert Is Better Than Prince Charming